Tomato soup and grilled cheese go hand-in-hand. When I was a kid, I loved dunking the corner of my sandwich into the soup until there was nothing left. This homemade version of tomato soup is especially good for dunking because the garlic adds even more flavor.
Creamy Roasted Tomato-Basil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans San Marzano plum tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the cream, basil, and oregano.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until there are no large pieces of tomato left. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.